Today marks the commencement of Winter here in Australia. But we’ve been having cold days and chilly nights since the middle of April which was late fall. As I’ve told you in my last post, there is a challenge to use your outdoor space during winter and let me tell you once again, if there’s a will, there is a way. I will show you how we took on the challenge of enjoying the outdoor when temperature has been dropping down. First allow me to show you once again our courtyard last summer so you can see the difference:
Here’s another view
Now, time for me show you what we have added:
My husband bought and assembled a gas heater from Bunnings to make sure that our guests will be comfortable and never freeze. We have also added something on the wall which becomes a focal point of our courtyard:
The newest additional decor are these sconces which hold 7 tea light candles which I bought for only$14.99 from Aldi. Putting decor on your outdoor wall is getting the taste of your inside space outside.
The centerpiece that I have for this cold season are candles, to add warmth and light.
You can see here, our courtyard is ready for some alfresco dining. To top it all, we dared to invite guests for an early dinner, 5:30 which was already dark. But it was part of the challenge of enjoying your outdoor to the fullest during winter. Well, we actually did it during that time since our son was part of their school musical which started at 7 pm and those friends of ours who were watching that night were invited to our place before and after the show ( our way of extending our gratitude for the support they have given to our son ). Now let’s inspect the courtyard during the night:
As you can see, the wall and the table are well-lit. But the ambiance will not be complete if there are no candles on the floor too.
There you go, all prepared to receive our guests.
Let me tell you that we had a lovely night, a night which was not cold after all due to the warm reception we gave to our guests who graced the musical show of our son.
Linking this to: Between Naps on the Porch
An outdoor space is very essential since it can be an extension of your home. During late spring and summer when the temperature rises up, the best way to entertain is through your outdoor space and have alfresco dining. So how does one make a good outdoor space?
1. Consider putting a dining table so it can serve as a destination of your guests. It’s the best solution to gather all your guests outside and hang out there for a while.
2. Make sure your table is appealing enough to draw the attention of your guests as soon as they arrive, put a vase with flowers from your garden or snip from the bush and off you go, table becomes very attractive.
3. Follow the universal rule, have a grill nearby. You wont go wrong with barbeque during spring, summer and even early autumn. No one would want to be cooking or baking inside the kitchen when you can enjoy the outdoors but still have great food for your guests.
4. Consider the comfort of your guests. In a party they want to relax as much a you do. Hence make sure there are enough seats for them where they can enjoy their wine, or beer or brandy, their choice of course.
5. Light up your outdoor space. For me, putting candles on the table and the floor create a very inviting and relaxing ambiance and of course, this ensure that your guests have the proper light to visualize the food they deserve to enjoy to the fullest.
6. Be creative. Decoration is not only for indoors. You can enhance your outdoor space by adding more cushions. Remember if your guests are comfortable, they will linger on even after the meal. You may want to arrange the glasses and the bottles of wine in an extraordinary fashion, like put it in a tray with fruits on the side.
7. Remember to wear a smile or better still laugh with your guests. They will be enthusiastic to stay if they feel that you are enjoying their company. After all, the party is for everyone.